Monday, April 14, 2014

WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL [ ] [ ] IN OLYMPIA:  This week's also the 20th anniversary of the release of Hole's Live Through This, an album which absolutely withstands the test of time as a fierce, feminist masterpiece. Spin Magazine (remember them?) has a nice history of its creation, which involved a lot of drugs, and not any of the "Kurt really wrote it" of urban legend. Drummer Patty Schemel:
During basic tracks, me and Courtney ended up leaving and going to New York to see Nirvana on Saturday Night Live. I was so drunk that I could not see straight. It was so fucked up. RuPaul was there. And I remember coming back and then having to do more recording and being completely wasted for that. When I got back, I was like, "I gotta pull it together." So that's when I did a bunch of crystal meth. We pretty much finished up our basic tracks and then we were kind of imbibing.

3 comments:

  1. Randy2:28 PM

    My goodness, I love this album. For my money, and I know how controversial this sounds, it's better, more consistent, and cuts deeper than Nevermind. It's a shame that Hole / Courtney Love never really came close to this again, but perhaps it was inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bristlesage2:33 PM

    It's magnificent, and as someone who was in high school at the time of its release, it's one of my first Feminist Texts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lisased4:52 PM

    "Violet" was the first track on my Angry Young Women mix.

    ReplyDelete