Sunday, October 16, 2011

END OF AN ERA:  There are plenty of folks who may receive the honorific Our Good Friend on this site, but when it comes to the Inquirer's Carrie Rickey (an occasional commenter here) it is more than true. Most of you know at least one way in which her impact on my life has been profound, but that's just one of many ways in which she has been generous in offering her counsel and connections over the years.

After twenty-five years here, Carrie bids farewell today to her fulltime job as movie reviewer to transition to longer-form pieces (and occasional free-lance reviews), and uses the occasion to mark how filmmaking, and Philadelphia's movie culture, have evolved during her tenure.

6 comments:

  1. Adam C.7:34 PM

    Having gotten to Philly in 1988, I've enjoyed Carrie's reviews for 23 of those 25 years.  Even though there have been many times when our opinions diverged, I've always found Carrie to be a knowledgeable and thoughtful reviewer/critic/writer.  Her regular presence will be missed, but I hope that she turns up frequently in her free-lance guise, and I'm interested to see her longer form work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam C.7:40 PM

    I'm also curious about what this means for local film coverage in the pages of the Inquirer/webpages of Philly.com - are they replacing Carrie with a full-time reviewer, or just relying more heavily on wire service/freelancers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Jeff9:09 PM

    Congratulations to Carrie for an impressive and enlightening run at the Inquirer. I read her earliest reviews when I was home from college, and one of the pleasures of returning to Philadelphia a decade ago for my current job was again being able to read her reviews more regularly. Looking forward to seeing what's next for her (and, like Adam C., looking with concern at what this might mean for arts coverage in the Inky).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not have known, but for Ebert's tweet, but am very sad that she is leaving.  Her reviews were always worth reading, and looking over her best of list, I realize that I will miss her more than I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn.1:08 AM

    Good luck to Carrie, and thank you for all of the great reviews, which I've definitely enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie3:02 PM

    Many thanks, guys & dolls.

    ReplyDelete