Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MARK FEUERSTEIN WILL NOT BE PLAYING ME IN THE ADAPTATION:  I am honored, and still a bit bewildered, to be one of the dads featured in John Donohue's Man with a Pan: Culinary Adventures of Fathers Who Cook for Their Families, in bookstores everywhere today, a series of essays and recipes from folks like Stephen King, Mario Batali, Wesley Stace, and Mark Bittman as well as interviews with non-famous cooking dads like me in which I talk about duck. I am totally biased, obviously, but I think it's a great anthology, a worthy Father's Day gift, and fun read in its own right. (Saveur and Kirkus agree.)  And there's a trailer:


John's website, Stay At Stove Dad, is worth your time as well. As Batali writes, "The best reason to cook, besides its being delicious and good for you, is that it will automatically make you look good. You'll look like a hero every day."

P.S. This is all Carrie's fault. She introduced me to John.

9 comments:

  1. Meghan8:21 AM

    I'll have to get this for my husband.  When we got married, we decided he'd cook, I'd clean up, he'd do the grocery shopping, I'd mow the lawn.  I swear, I definitely got the better end of the deal.  He thinks he did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred App9:56 AM

    I don't know if my cooking makes me seem heroic, but I learned how to cook in college for a much less noble reason: I figured that cooking dinner for your date meant that you didn't have to spend the whole meal wondering how to get her back to your apartment afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. littleredyarn10:46 AM

    My boyfriend made dinner for me on our third date. Spicy Caribbean tilapia, couscous, buttered green beans and dessert was a shared pint of Ben and Jerry's with two spoons. It was an incredibly romantic gesture on his part and dinner was delicious. 

    Fast forward six years later. I do the cooking and he's my sous chef. He also has a more delicate palate than I do when it comes to seasonings. I ask him to taste everything since I'm "a pepper monkey". 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genevieve11:21 AM

    Mazel tov, Adam, and how cool!
    My husband does the majority of our cooking, so I may have to get this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genevieve11:22 AM

    Macafee says "Stay At Stove Dad" is a suspicious site - any red flags virus-wise, Adam?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genevieve11:22 AM

    Macafee says "Stay At Stove Dad" is a suspicious site - any red flags virus-wise, Adam?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather K12:22 PM

    In transitioning from full time work to part time work/part time artist, part of the deal was me taking over more of the cooking.  I think I might need to get this book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. spacewoman3:16 PM

    That's awesome, Adam, congratulations!!  Will definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete