Tuesday, January 18, 2011

COME TO MY (TICKET) WINDOW: Two somewhat odd pieces of Broadway casting:
  • Anderson Cooper will pre-record the voice of "The Book" in the upcoming Daniel Radcliffe-led revival of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, which was played by Walter Cronkite in the last revival.
  • While Billie Joe Armstrong takes a week's vacation from his limited engagement in American Idiot, Melissa Etheridge (who's already halfway to EGOT--1993 and 1995 Grammys for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Female and an Oscar for "I Need To Wake Up") will play the role of St. Jimmy, which is a traditionally male part.

7 comments:

  1. Heather K3:58 PM

    I think that is SUPER awesome!  On both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman4:42 PM

    I don't know.  Cronkite had an amazing voice.  He could exist outside the boundaries of his journalistic talents in a way that I think Anderson Cooper can't. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather K5:13 PM

    Cronkite is obviously a better choice all around.  I do like that Anderson Cooper is a very contemporary choice for this particular revival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bella wilfer6:02 PM

    I love the Anderson Cooper choice - cool way to update it.  Can't wait to see if Radcliffe can pull off a non-Harry role (i missed him in Equus, I know people liked him in it, but curious to see him play more of a regular guy in H2$ anyway...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. randy7:44 PM

    In other Broadway casting news that affects me personally (since I'm flying across the continent to see it), it appears that the role of Joanne in the NPH / NY Philharmonic "Company" will be played by none other than Patti LuPone.  Which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily8:24 PM

    I'm not surprised Patti is playing Joanne. She sang "Ladies Who Lunch" for the Sondheim bday concert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha1:39 PM

    And it was fabulous. Fab-u-lous.

    I am absolutely loving "Finishing the Hat," by the way. So much interesting insight (and good dish!).

    ReplyDelete