Monday, December 6, 2010

A COMMENT ON COMMENTS:  You may recall that it was 49 weeks ago that this blog finally upgraded to a new template and, with the demise of Haloscan, accepted Echo's offer of a one-year free trial of its commenting features.

Well, that year is coming to a close, and the piper would like to be paid.  $10/month, to be exact.

There is a lot to like about Echo -- the multiple login options, the use of avatars, the "like" button, threaded comments and the ease of moderation from our end.  At the same time, its synchronization feature is erratic -- yielding multiple days on which comments aren't accessible from many devices -- and we do have issues like triple-posting and the like.

Also, this blog is a hobby and a lark for all of us -- we have never accepted advertising or sought any revenue from this, but nor do we necessarily want to be spending money on it either.  It may be an irrational distinction, but I think to have to start to paying for this would change they way we experience doing it.

Still, I wrote back to the Echo folks, $120/yr is a bit much for the value you provide to us.  How about $50, and if service improves we'll consider a full fee next year?, to which they responded, basically, "That's nice. Here's some other platforms you may want to consider instead."  (They've been quite friendly, in fact.) Intense Debate was one, and obviously we could use Blogger.com's own commenting functions.

So here's where we need your help.  What we're looking for in a commenting host is the following:
  • It should be free.
  • It should be simple and clean as a layout matter.
  • It should not require a complicated login, and must protect the pseudonymity/anonymity of our users.
  • It should synchronize with our existing comments, which reach 2,000/month.
  • It should allow comment reading and posting from all mobile devices.
  • It should allow for easy moderation/editing/spam protection.
  • Ideally, it would allow for threaded comments, "like" buttons, etc.
  • It should reward its bearer with riches beyond his or her wildest imagination.
So, gang, any advice? 

24 comments:

  1. Alan Sepinwall8:29 PM

    What's the reservation about Blogger's commenting system? It's really damn simple, free and I never had any problems with it on the old blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's what's best, we'll use it. I don't think it's got as much functionality as some of the alternatives, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roger8:43 PM

    Wait, so we're not worth less than two bucks per person per month?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather not monetize the relationship at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine a tipjar wouldn't cover a year's worth of Echo in a New York minute, but I don't see the disadvantage of the Blogger commenting system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. patricia9:39 PM

    I definitely appreciate the desire not to monetize the blog.  That said, I really like the threaded comments- I think it makes for more cohesive discussions- and I REALLY like the "like" buttons.  If it takes a few bucks from me to make those happen, I'd gladly pitch in.  (Also as a way to show my appreciation for all you guys do around here.  This is just about my favorite place on the intertubes.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:04 PM

    Exactly what patricia said.  Totally appreciate the desire not to monetize the blog, but would be very happy to kick something into a tip jar. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. calliekl10:57 PM

    I do really enjoy the "like", and the threaded comments... but ever since the upgrade I've been unable to access the comments at all from my work pc (I feel like I should be ashamed that I try to go here fom work), and I can't comment from my mobile, so I am crossing my fingers for a change.

    I realize this isn't a constructive suggestion, just wanted to say that my forced separation from you all has made my days a little less bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FWIW, looking at IntenseDebate, it seems like it can do the threaded comments and the "like" button, though I'm not clear on if ithat's a baseline feature or an "enhanced one."

    ReplyDelete
  10. NancyT7:52 AM

    My site has the same problem, and we've got less than a week to make the switch.  The big issue for us seems to be what happens to the old Echo comments once you've changed to systems like IntenseDebate or Disqus. We've had trouble importing the older Echo/JS-Kit comments into new systems (though we've been running some tests), but don't like the idea of Echo holding the older comments hostage. Currently, we're looking into Disqus but may end up reverting to Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meghan10:09 AM

    I appreciate your not wanting to monetize the blog but am another who'd willingly chip in to make a sustainable format.  Aside from that, i have nothing to add.  I trust our Dear Leaders to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meghan10:10 AM

    An edit feature would be nice--that i should be capitalized, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you guys think Echo is best for the blog, I hope you'll let the readers kick in.  Just put up a paypal address/link and request only $5 donations.  In a few hours, a lucky 24 readers will have paid for comments, the ickiness will be over, and we can forget all about it until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like a mini NPR!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Down with this 100%, would gladly chip in.  Or a free alternative.  Whatever the Powers That Be decide is best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul Tabachneck1:10 PM

    Can we also make sure it's Android-friendly?  I'm not sure what the number of comments I haven't put in because my Droid doesn't recognize this dialogue box, but it's a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marsha1:24 PM

    I am, of course, totally happy to chip in. I certainly appreciate the desire not to monetize, and I would also appreciate having some of Echo's failing fixed, but I'll be happy to kick in my share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. bella wilfer1:55 PM

    Yes to the chipping in!  My one request would be that the comments don't pop up in a different screen (as they used to do - for me at least - on HaloScan).  I could never read comments on my Blackberry with that older format.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are NOT making tote bags.

    ReplyDelete
  20. J. Bowman3:45 PM

    I would be willing to donate a portion of my tote bag collection.
    Macy's! Meijer! An orange bag from the Clemson Bi-Lo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have tote bags from The Strand and Powells, but I'm not forking them over!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenn.4:35 PM

    I was all set to donate, but then Matt said no tote bags....

    ReplyDelete
  23. littleredyarn5:38 PM

    I'd be more than happy to donate a couple of bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. calliekl10:21 PM

    For some reason, this still happens on my windows pc, and if I do leave a comment, it doesn't get posted. I'm guessing this has something to do with some web block on my company's end or with Firefox, although I have no problem with my firefox system at home.

    ReplyDelete