Wednesday, June 23, 2010

NEXT WEEK, THE DALEKS VISIT SESAME STREET AND TEACH EVERYONE HOW TO SAY "EXTERMINATE:" Yes, someone has conclusively proven that Oscar the Grouch is a Time Lord. Relatedly, I've been quite enjoying this series of Doctor Who--yes, it's quite a bit more arc-driven than the Davies years were, but I'm enjoying Matt Smith as the Doctor, who's managing to keep a lot of the traits that I liked in David Tennant's portrayal while still making it his own, and especially Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, who's a companion that's neither whiny and annoying (I'm looking at you, Donna Noble) nor something of a stoic bore (Martha Jones). Yes, there's been some heavy-handed (and I suspect largely unintentional) political stuff in recent weeks, but still, good fun.

Via Hodgman, naturally.

4 comments:

  1. Joseph J. Finn2:01 PM

    Hey, no dissing of Donna Noble, the only Companion in the first four years who was completely her own person and not in love with the Doctor. I never found her annoying, myself, especially since she had the best family group as well (sorry, Martha, your mother drove me batty).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew to like Donna, and her ending was genuinely moving, but in Runaway Bride in particular?  Seriously annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genevieve3:56 PM

    I didn't see Runaway Bride until after I'd seen most of Donna's episodes, which I suspect helped a great deal - but Donna matured quickly after Runaway Bride, was the first funny companion in the new era and the first one who wasn't overawed by the Doctor and who frequently surprised him by giving him as good as she got.  And she was damn funny.

    I still hope there will be a way to undo her ending - it was so terribly unfair.

    ReplyDelete