Tuesday, April 6, 2010

HIT 'EM LOW, HIT 'EM HIGH: Two residual thoughts on the McNabb trade:
  • Fans are in no position to evaluate the merits of the trade because of what Rumsfeld called the "known unknowns" and what Gladwell would call a puzzle, not a mystery -- we simply don't have sufficient information about Kevin Kolb to determine whether his next 6+ years hold more promise than McNabb's next 3-4. For the coaching staff, on the other hand, it's a more of a mystery under the Gladwell dichotomy: they have lots of information, but can't be sure about what to do with it.
  • For almost a decade, I've been wearing my green McNabb #5 jersey to pretty much every home game. Now what? Among the current players, I'm considering a Jackson #10, Samuel #22, Cole #58, McCoy #25 or Maclin #18, though none feel terribly satisfying at the moment. Do I just go old school and get the Reggie White or Jerome Brown throwback?

13 comments:

  1. Carmichael Harold9:15 AM

    Re jerseys for current guys, I'd probably go with Cole or Celek, although, in reality, I probably stick with my old standby (my namesake, Harold Carmichael's #17).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott9:55 AM

    I've been rocking a Westy #36 for years, so I'm in the same boat.  At least I also have an old-school Jaws #7 (which my neighbors all mistake for a Vick jersey, naturally).  I'm thinking about going DeSean, although I may go Kolb if he has a promising first season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pathetic Earthling10:24 AM

    Why change at all?  You already have the throwback.  49ers fans till sport a hell of a lot more Young and Montana and Rice jerseys than anything else.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. isaac_spaceman10:58 AM

    Jaworski?

    ReplyDelete
  5. bad dad12:53 PM

    What about your Iverson jersey for a year while you decide? I'm sure you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The general rule of jersey thumb is that you should never wear a jersey of a player younger than you.  I'd go old school (and it's better if it's obscure - Keith Byars, Mike Quick)

    ReplyDelete
  7. isaac_spaceman1:56 PM

    Keith Byars -- I still remember a block he threw where Pepper Johnson was running at full speed and just disappeared from the screen.  I thought he might have disintegrated.  One of the best blocks I had ever seen. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. bad dad2:25 PM

    I wasn't aware of that rule. Is there an overseas exception? I have a Steven Gerard that might need a Craigslisting then...

    ReplyDelete
  9. bad dad2:38 PM

    Go prehistoric! Chuck Bednarik's 60! The last 60 minute man in the NFL! The only man to have put Frank Gifford out of action as much as Kathie Lee has!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob in SA2:51 PM

    Harold Carmichael (if you're wearing glasses) or Roman Gabriel (really obscure).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dan Suitor3:47 PM

    As a Patriots fan I'll second the Asante Samuel jersey. He's got rocks for brains, but boulders for testicles and he's one of the few CBs in the league who's worth something against the run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Pathetic Earthling3:54 PM

    A good rule.  And that's why if I ever bought an SF Giants jersey, I'd go with Kevin Mitchell or Candy Moldanado.  

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scott2:49 PM

    I thought one would have to be able to tackle to be worth something against the run?

    ReplyDelete