Wednesday, March 17, 2010

AREN'T THERE ENOUGH NEIL YOUNG MOVIES ALREADY? Jonathan Demme doesn't think so, so he's made another:

Q: The cameras linger on Young's face, and his hands. You made a movie about Neil Young's face.

A: Does everybody talk about guitar face, or is that just my wife? No one gives guitar face like Neil Young. And piano face! And I love him for that. He doesn't care what he looks like. Zero ego. This is actually something he said to me: "I don't have a bad side, because I don't have a good side."

Great interview. Also includes Demme's love of Upper Darby's Tower Theater, where the concert was filmed, and his work on an animated adaptation of Dave Eggers' Zeitoun.

4 comments:

  1. girard316:58 AM

    Not to hijack this post, but you brought it up...After reading Zeitoun I felt that the other two guys he got picked up with had more interesting stories and was left wanting to hear more about them...I was left disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.  I disagree.  I thought Zeitoun was just terrific.  I'd want to hear about the experience of the other guys too, but I'm glad to know what happened to Zeitoun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isaac_spaceman10:51 AM

    I agree with Russ that Zeitoun was terrific, but man, the two guys he was picked up with were in jail for a long time -- three or four times as long as Zeitoun -- and apparently had less of a support system when they finally got out.  It was a supremely frustrating story .

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the end, I kind of wanted to go up to the first twenty-year-old in uniform with a big gun and punch him in the face.  I respect our men and women in uniform, but Zeitoun made it clear that some people just have too much power. 

    ReplyDelete