Friday, January 8, 2010

THE SECOND COMING OF THE PUPPY CHANNEL:I don't know that I've ever seen a movie trailer more likely to provoke divergent responses than the one for Babies. Yes, it's 2:25 of babies being babies, without any narration or anything else. At its core, there's an interesting sociological work there--the four babies being followed represent dramatically different cultures--but sociology doesn't sell, so we're instead left with a trailer that seems designed to be featured on Cute Overload. I'm not sure I can do 90 minutes of that. (Also awesome is that the trailer noted that the movie is rated PG for "cultural and maternal nudity throughout.")

7 comments:

  1. Maggie11:14 PM

    I've now seen this trailer at least 10 times - I hadn't noticed the warning about "cultural and maternal nudity."  I get grossed out every time they show the buckets of intestines.  I love babies as much as the next person, but definitely won't be sitting through 2:25 of what's essentially the home movies of 4 people that I don't know.  I can't even manage that for kids/parents that I do know.... 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:02 AM

    Saw the trailer five times in one day. No interest at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benner12:12 AM

    The goat at the end of the trailer was way cuter than any of the babies.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pathetic Earthling3:30 AM

    Very cute.  Can't wait to see it in three minute increments over the course of 2012-2019 on National Geographic Channel.  Also, I really don't want to see the cultural struggles of San Francisco yuppies.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. ---The Puppy Channel(R) likes it!---and thanks you for the mention---the idea that people---a lot of people---will be entertained by watching sweet, simple, little, newbie creatures doing their thing---is a proven fact---and at thepuppychannel.com we expect viewers to watch for a few minutes---hopefully often---but not thru an hour of plot twists---life gives us enough of that elsewhere---woof !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth M.8:03 PM

    March of the Penguins was a hit - although it did have narration.  I think Babies looks kinda cool, but will probably wait and do it through Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha11:43 AM

    That was me, BTW.

    ReplyDelete