Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SO WE KEEP ON WAITING, WAITING ON THE WORLD TO CHANGE: Going into tonight's final Season Five performance show, there's really only one question worth asking: do you care? I don't.

Sitting here contemplating my general degree of blahness (extremely high levels of blahness are being reported from all precincts), I can't help but think of the final round of AI for each of the last two seasons. The battle of the Davids and the Lambert/Allen showcase showdown each had infinitely more watercooler discussion potential than I'm expecting from this week's performances and outcome. But setting AI aside entirely and just thinking about SYTYCD, this is by far the least interesting finale the show has ever had.

I started out writing a post with lots of bullet points comparing particular aspects of this season to prior seasons, but just trashed the whole thing, because the problem with this season boils down to one thing: a lack of wow moments. I don't care how many times Nigel and Mary try to tell us that these are the most talented dancers the show has ever had -- the dances just haven't been that memorable. (Actually, this "examiner" reminds me that I liked more of the dances than I thought I did, although I'd add in the butt, the crash test dummies, and the cracked Chorus Line and excise anything having to do with Melissa or disco.)

You all know how much I love this show, and so it makes me a little sad to be snarking about it. I'm therefore going to stick with my sandbaggery theory and attribute all the blahness of this season to a dastardly plan by my once-and-future BFF Nigel to keep all the interesting dancers and the best choreography for the inaugural fall season of the show -- a season in which Tabitha and Napoleon will be sent on one of those 120-day world cruises along with Tyce Diorio and Doriana Sanchez.

But let me ask it again: do you care?

No comments:

Post a Comment