Tuesday, August 4, 2009

E/I SANS: One thing I didn't admit a few threads back is that I've been using the summer TV lull to bring myself up to speed selectively on Degrassi. In the span of two or three weeks, I think I've seen a high-school rivalry stabbing, a hostage shooting, a terroristic threat, a pot-related peanut allergy crisis, a false molestation accusation, a true molestation accusation, a ball-ectomy, a near-prostitution experience involving a Toronto City Councilman, a spontaneous cocaine-induced singer/songwriter-accompanied septum deviation, and about 170,000 promos for Degrassi Goes Hollywood. And I swear I only watched about eight episodes.

My point is that I've been staring at the logo for the N a lot, which is relevant because The N's younger parent (wrap your head around that), Nickelodeon, just changed its logo. EW doesn't like it. But I have to disagree. True, the squat, rounded 80s-style fonts look better on shorter words, because the length of "Nickelodeon" tends to create its own straight edge. Still, it's a nice clean look, it goes well with the font for The N, and it was long past time to dump the old logo, which used one of those fonts that irritatingly half-parroted free-hand lettering, and the main feature of which was the old Nick splat. The splat really needed to be retired. How long has it been since the slime was Nick's calling card? The old logo looked dated, seemed to skew even younger than the network's target audience, and had the added detraction of looking like you parked your TV under a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment