Saturday, August 8, 2009

BON APPETIT! Judging from comments in the prior thread, there's some desire for a spoiler thread to discuss Julie and Julia, which I saw last night. I'm not sure we really need one, since there ain't much of a plot in the film, and the parallelism of the two women doesn't really work. However, I think reviews on this one show an age gap. Yes, the praise for Streep's performance is all well-deserved (as is the praise for the Streep/Tucci pairing, which is amazing), but I think there's an age gap evident in reactions to the Julie side of the film. Yes, Julie as a character is more than a little self-absorbed and narcissistic, but Amy Adams' inherent likability overcomes that. I also think those of us on the south side of about 35 see a lot more of ourselves in her, especially those of us who live day to day in the world of blogs and blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment