Thursday, April 23, 2009

WENDY? YES LISA. IS THE WATER WARM ENOUGH? Out.com has a fascinating interview with Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman -- a/k/a Wendy and Lisa formerly of (Prince and) the Revolution -- in which they come out of the closet as a longtime couple, and answer a few questions:

Did you first think Prince was gay?
Lisa:
He was little and kinda prissy and everything. But he’s so not gay.
Wendy: He’s a girl, for sure, but he’s not gay. He looked at me like a gay woman would look at another woman.
Lisa: Totally. He’s like a fancy lesbian.
Wendy: I remember being at that “Sexuality” video shoot and him on stage with that little black jacket and that tie thing around his neck and his black pants with white buttons on the side. And we looked at each other for the first time and I thought, “Oh, I could so fall in love with that girl easy.” It doesn’t matter what sexuality, gender you are. You’re in the room with him and he gives you that look and you’re like, “Okay, I’m done. It’s over.” He’s Casanova. He’s Valentino....

Regardless of what you went through and what came after, I’m sure there is a generation of women who saw you two in Purple Rain and went, “Huh, maybe this is what I am.”
Wendy: I remember getting a lot of letters from young girls: “I wanna play guitar just like you,” and you could tell in some of the writing that they were little young lesbians and their parents were freaked. And I would write back and just be like, “Just go for it. Live it. You’ll work it out.” It doesn’t come our way much anymore except from people who are just a few years younger than us. You know, “You made such a difference to me growing up and I wanted to be just like you. A lot of straight girls are like, “You’re the only gay girls who I’d wanna screw.”

No comments:

Post a Comment