Saturday, April 25, 2009

THE UNCANNY VALLEY: According to today's NYT (and the Time article on which it's based), James Cameron's upcoming 3-D film Avatar (12/18/09) may mark a Jazz Singer-level leap in the possibilities for cinema. Writes Josh Quittner: "I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated -- even knowing that the 9-ft.-tall blue, dappled dude couldn't possibly be real. The scenes were so startling and absorbing that the following morning, I had the peculiar sensation of wanting to return there, as if Pandora were real."

In terms of movie hype, all I can report is that in my household, I was asked yesterday morning about the day that the new Star Trek film is released: "Do they start running it that night, or will there also be showings during the afternoon?" Upon explaining that it'd probably start at midnight the night before, The Wife was sated, asking "Will you skip work to watch it with me, or should I see it the first time by myself?"

No comments:

Post a Comment