Thursday, April 23, 2009

RIGHT TED? WE OUTTA HERE: Anoop Desai, beloved around here but falling ultimately shy of ALOTT5MA Fave status, makes clear in his exit interview that the life of a folklorist (his senior thesis? the impact of barbecue on southern culture) is not where he sees himself any more:

What is your dream? What do you see in your future?
I want to be a pop and R&B star. That's what I feel I'm best at singing. That's what I feel will be the most successful commercially and that's what I have the most fun doing. And I think that I've showed that side. My favorite comment of the entire season was when Kara said on Tuesday that "Dim All The Lights" -- the fast part -- could be on the radio because that's what we really tried to do with the song. We tried to give it a sort of Ne-Yo-esque beat. And that's what I'm really striving for. That's the kind of music I want to make. Ne-Yo is someone that I think epitomizes the R&B crossover into pop. I really look at him, and artists like him, as examples of where I want to go. And the thing is I have a different voice than all of them.

Different voice than the rest of the Idol contestants?
I have a different voice than the rest of the Idols but I also have a different voice than other people on the pop/R&B game. Although R&B is my game, I am very influenced by the Brit Rock that's out there right now. I think that's a different feel. So I'm looking forward to getting some songs and taking to producers and talking to people I'm going to collaborate with and really getting that album out there. I really do think that I have something that can be successful in today's market.


Predict Desai's ultimate level of success -- or answer this question: three years from now, Anoop Desai will be ....

No comments:

Post a Comment