Monday, April 20, 2009

COME ON, HOMER, JAPAN WILL BE FUN! YOU LIKED RASHOMON. THAT'S NOT HOW I REMEMBER IT: In recognition of its 15th anniversary, Turner Classic Movies suggests a list of the fifteen most influential films of all time. "These are not necessarily the most important films, nor representative of “firsts” in film history," they explain, "These are the movies that shaped the cinema and the audiences that viewed them. "

It's not a bad list, though I don't understand why two Westerns would need listing, even with the latter one (The Searchers) being among my all-time favorites. I think the list has a serious gap in terms of silent comedies, which I'd fill with Chaplin's The Gold Rush (1925), because of its phenomenal mix of gags, plot and pathos; I'd also try to make room for Slacker, Clerks, Reservoir Dogs or sex, lies, and videotape, any one of which would be representative of the DIY aesthetic and business model launched during the past twenty years of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment