Tuesday, October 28, 2008

IN OTHER WORDS, JUST FROM FIGURING OUT WHETHER THERE ARE ENOUGH LYRICS IN THIS LINE TO FILL A BREATH OR WHETHER MORE MAY BE NECESSARY TO ENSURE THAT THE ENTIRE OXYGEN SUPPLY WILL BE USED BY THE SINGER BEFORE NEEDING TO INHALE AGAIN AND DELIVER HER NEXT LINE, A PERSON CAN DEVELOP A COLD: I am almost without words at this particular bit of news: Lauren Graham will portray Miss Adelaide on Broadway starting in February. And if my husband has not already made a mental note to get tickets for the first preview, then he's some alien who has taken over control of my husband's faculties. (How's that for harnessing the power of the blog for personal reasons?)

I just did a search of our archives only to discover that I have apparently never posted about how much I love Guys and Dolls. I love love love it. Every song is glorious (with the asterisked exception of "Follow the Fold"). The characters -- all of them! -- are wonderful and the dialogue is, as you may more than somewhat have come to understand from your dealings of this nature, both Runyonesque and funny. (Bacardi!) The soundtrack from the 1976 all-black Broadway production with Robert Guillaume was one of the first CDs I ever owned, and man did I run that disc into the ground. (I dearly would have loved to see the over-the-top gospel rendition of Sit Down.) The 1992 production with Nathan Lane, Faith Prince, and Sandy Cohen is one of the highlights of my theatregoing career. Let me see only one musical in my life, and Guys and Dolls is it.

And I don't think it's any great secret that there are some pretty serious fans around here of Graham's work as Lorelai Gilmore. But is she Miss Adelaide? Here's a pretty good audition tape for the Lament.

I am just beside myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment