Wednesday, August 13, 2008

SEE, IF I WERE REALLY A CHINA-BASHER, I MIGHT JUST CALL IT LOW-TECH CENSORSHIP: Occasional commenter George, who apparently is an insomniac weighliftophile, wants people to know that "Janos Baranyai‏ is Hungarian for Joe Theisman." I'm not going to link to the video -- you can find it yourself. Apparently I'm the kind of guy who will forward videos of athletic failure and who will watch videos of disfiguring athletic injury, but who will not forward videos of athletic failure resulting in disfiguring injury. Yes, that is a line so fine you can floss with it.

I mention Baranyi, though, because commenter Anderson thinks we've been too hard on China, and I want to say something nice. When Baranyi went down, it took about a nanosecond for five Chinese volunteers to materialize with large placards and stand next to each other to shield him from the spectators' view. I wish I had a geographically appropriate metaphor for this great wall that the Chinese people made, but nothing comes to mind. Anyway, nice touch by China, refusing to allow Baranyi's grotesque injury to be part of the spectacle.

So what does NBC do? It re-runs the injury in slow-motion from three different angles. You stay classy, NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment