Friday, May 30, 2008

ROUND NINE!!!!:  Samia is up!  She sails through her word.

While they do a Behind the Speller on Tia Thomas, can I just take a moment to point out how much I hate INTERVIEWING A SPELLER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROUND?!!  It is a travesty.  Interview their moms.  Interview their dads.  Interview their friends.  DO NOT BOTHER THE SPELLERS WITH PRESS WHILE THEY ARE SPELLING!!!!

I am calling the head of the network about this in the morning.

Or maybe not.  Because he scares me.  And he hires me.  So...yay, Steve!!!

8:42 pm:  Rorschach is ALSO NOT A SPELLING BEE WORD!  NO!  IT is not!  If I can spell it myself, it is not a word!

Rose spells "alcarraza" with joy and aplomb!

BEST MOMENT SO FAR:  Sameer is given a word. He stares at BBC Jacques Bailly and says, "NUMB NUT?"  BBC says "numnah" and Sameer basically says, "oh thank GOD."  Because he couldn't believe that Jacques is asking him to spell Numb Nut on national TV...  hee...  Literally the best most awesome moment so far...He actually says (and I know this because of instant replay since I am covertly watching my east coast feed in my office): "oh, that's a relief."

ONCE AGAIN THEY ARE BOTHERING THE SPELLERS BY INTERVIEWING THEM DURING THE ROUNDS!!!!  STOP IT!  

STOP!  IT!

(a lot of wine)

8:52 pm:  Kavya is supposed to spell "epideictic" -- her bio says she wants to be a neurosurgeon, her very own Dr. McDreamy (how could I not go there?), so I love her!

Ommateal: of or relating having compound eyes.  WHAT THE EF DOES THAT MEAN?  What are compound eyes?  And how come Sidharth can spell it correctly when I don't even know what the MEANING means?

8:55 pm:  Our girl Cat easily spells her word (boulangere).  And now Scott Remer is having his chance with a word I will not even try to type.  They make it through.  Jahnavi is given "Nietzschean" which as we all know is of or relating to the German philospher Nietzsche.  But she has been studying WORDS not proper names and is a bit flummoxed.  I pray for her.  I pray to the gods of adulthood and confidence that she will make it through.   She's doing it!!!  SHE DID IT!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment