Monday, March 24, 2008

THE BOOK OF SELLS: I know it is just me, but I cringe every time someone on sports radio refers to the Boston Celtics. The one thing I remember from CEL 70 - World of the Celts, is that the bias in Celtic languages is heavily in favor of a hard "c." i.e., Kel-tic. I don't even much like basketball, but this bothers me. I am aware that BBC will refer to the Scottish football team of the same name with a soft "c." This is evidence of English imperialism and their Irish, Welsh, and Scot quislings, who have adopted the soft "c." Yet, somehow, the legacy of English imperialism in its effort to stamp out the native languages of Great Britain bothers me less than its effect on my short daily encounters with Razor Voice Ralph Barbieri on KNBR 680, the Sports Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment