Thursday, February 28, 2008

SONT LES MOTS QUI VONT TRES BIEN ENSEMBLE: Nothing terrifically surprising from tonight's AI results show, except that I found the third exit to be surprisingly moving. I've always wondered why more contestants don't find themselves caught up in the throes of emotion when their time comes. And couple the outpouring of woe with the first verse of the song, and, well, the sappier among us (hi) would not be unjustified in finding ourselves just the slightest bit weepy.

But the big news from the show was the part that wasn't really news anymore -- by now we've all heard that AI has finally obtained the rights to whichever subset of the McCartney/Lennon catalog the good people of Sony Neverland have opted to offer up for mangling by the 12 finalists.

I myself am not a Beatles fan -- as Mr. Cosmo puts it, there are Elvis people and there are Beatles people, and there is one of each in our marriage -- but even my husband the Beatles devotee is concerned about the total unsingerliness of the Fab Four's songlist. I am cringing at the thought of "All You Need Is Love" and "Birthday" being performed on the show. What would you all suggest that our final 12 sing in a couple of weeks to avoid the seemingly inevitable comment that their song selection didn't properly show off their voices? So far I'm content to hear "Back in the USSR" and "Penny Lane," but that's about it. I do, however, think that the band is gonna have a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment