Wednesday, January 30, 2008

FINISHED WITH MY WOMAN 'CAUSE SHE COULDN'T HELP ME WITH MY MIND: In our bid to give copious analysis to every song on the We Are Marshall soundtrack, let me call to your attention "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. I had always dug the music. The guitar solo at the start of the song is searing. The main section consists of a powerful three-chord riff that is an awesome example of straight-ahead heavy metal. "Paranoid" is faster and simpler than most Black Sabbath songs (which may be why I like it).

Watching the film, I couldn't quite make out the lyrics, so I listened to it on my stereo and then looked up the lyrics here. They are pretty intense (yet also melodramatic):
Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry
Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal.
I can understand why generations of alienated teenagers have felt such a strong connection with the song. There is quite a thoughtful discussion of the song here. I can't decide if the closing lines are chilling or simply over the top:
And so as you hear these words telling you now of my state
I tell you to enjoy life I wish I could but it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment