Sunday, June 17, 2007

KNOCKED DOWN: I'm two weeks late, but I still want to say that Knocked Up is a good movie. As a lifelong bearer of an Isro, there was much to relate to in the movie (Do you use a product in your hair? Yes, it's called 'Jew'), and everything having to do with Martin Starr's hirsuteness and every word out of Jason Segal's mouth was pure comic gold. I want to see more movie stars like Seth Rogen, more comedy coming from insecurity rather than putting people down. And every Office cameo, but especially Darryl's as The Doorman, like, wow. I like movies that make me laugh out loud, laugh uncontrollably.

But, seriously? I had a hard time with how awful Pete & Debbie's marriage was. They really weren't communicating, were really doing and saying awful things . . . and at a certain point, it was just uncomfortable, and not funny. There wasn't much sympathetic about either of them, and I think Jody was right when she commented, "I loved everything about the movie except for Leslie Mann, who was awful on so many levels I'm not even sure where to start. I feel like Apatow, being her husband and all, probably thinks it impossible that anyone could dislike Leslie Mann. So he gave her carte blanche to be a great big self-centered b-iotch. I guess we were supposed to love her and identify with her or something. The way she treated Paul Rudd bordered on abuse. If that were reversed, if you had a guy talking to a woman like that, constantly belittling her and putting her down, people would freak out."

Yeah, also? The "shocking" "Heigl" shot in the delivery room? Didn't really add to the comedy. It was just kinda there to prove that it could be there.

Do I recommend the movie? Yes. But I have no idea why some reviewers have said it's the match of, let alone better than The 40 Year-Old Virgin, a movie that got everything right.

No comments:

Post a Comment