Monday, May 7, 2007

AN ANGRY SPELLER: Utah's Kunal Sah, the thirteen-year old speller we first introduced you to two months ago, yesterday received the full Times treatment over his parent's deportation woes:
“What I want to do is win the nationals, and, if I do, then there is a chance that my mom and dad will have a better chance of coming back,” Kunal said, sitting on his bed in a room stuffed to the ceiling with sprachgefühl, a word he was stumped by in a spelling bee last year. It means things that are linguistically appropriate or intuitive. Everything in Kunal’s room, from his dictionaries to his spelling trophies, is linguistically appropriate. “The anger is pushing me,” he said. “The anger is just telling me that yes, this year I have to win.”
ABC will once again broadcast the finals live in prime time -- Thursday, May 31 -- from 8-10pm. That this happens to be the same slot as the premiere of "Pirate Master" means that, for yet another Thursday night in our house, Mark Burnett gets skipped on a show we'd otherwise watch. And, yes, live-blogging will return for our fifth straight year of covering all the drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment