Saturday, February 10, 2007

DO YOU THINK I GIVE A DAMN ABOUT A GRAMMY? As I note every year, the awards presented at the Grammys each year are forgettable, but the performances, for the past few years, are not. God bless YouTube for finding some of my favorites from recent years:
And a few blasts from the past, while you're with us this weekend: in 1985, Thomas Dolby, Howard Jones, Herbie Hancock and Stevie Wonder performed "a tribute to synthesizers". Big hair! Big keytars! Go watch. And from 1980, well, it's a triumph for My People, and for the Isro. Finally, I can't make this post and forget about the ODB accepting an award for which he wasn't nominated or the legendary "Soy Bomb". This year's performers include:
Earth, Wind & Fire, Mary J. Blige and Ludacris in a James Brown tribute; Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie and Chris Brown in an "R&B" tribute; Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, the Dixie Chicks, Gnarls Barkley, Wyclef Jean, John Legend, John Mayer, Corinne Bailey Rae, Rascal Flatts, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shakira, Justin Timberlake, the Police, Carrie Underwood, James Blunt and T.I.
Also, make your predictions for who gets the loudest non-James Brown necrology applause (Ahmet Ertegun), and what time the annual "stop stealing our music, kids!" lecture is delivered. Or, I guess, express your predictions and hopes for the awards themselves. I'll probably liveblog tomorrow, though this is the kind of thing for which TiVo was invented.

No comments:

Post a Comment