Monday, January 15, 2007

UM, DO WE HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO SAY? SERIOUSLY? NOT SO MUCH, YO: It would appear that when it comes to matters of linguistic flourish, we here at ALOTT5MA are perhaps a bit more lemminglike than we realize. Looking over Gawker's list of blog-media cliches, I notice that a significant percentage of items on the list pepper our -- or at least my -- posts with perhaps undue frequency. I suppose I could choose to believe that we are the Ground Zero for many of these turns of phrase, but, reserving my flights of self-delusion for more pressing matters, I'll just note that the author of the Gawker post seems to have missed at least a few of the references spawning the now-apparently-abused terminology. (To cite just one example -- they miss the origin of "wait for it" as part of the zeitgeist du blogosphere via HIMYM's Barney, instead wondering whether it came from some sort of theatrical stage direction.)

(Edited to add: Apparently "wait for it" has zillions of sources, each one more enjoyable than the last. Check out the comments. Pffffffffhhhht to the cliche list in any event.)

That's it for me today -- enjoy your MLKjr Day. I will be spending my afternoon concocting new turns of phrase to replace those which have been stolen from me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment