Monday, January 15, 2007

I VANT TO BITE YOUR NECK: After watching the first two hours of the Jack Bauer Power Four Hour Bloc, I found myself wondering what astonishing pyrotechnics we should expect from hours three and four. Night #1 was good, even great in parts, but there wasn't that "HOLY SHIT" moment that I've come to expect from 24's annual premiere event. I'm optimistic, though -- we've still got tonight. (Anyone besides me observe that the sun rose awfully quickly? Who knew that LA has 90 second sunrises?)

My mother, who had never seen 24 before, watched the premiere with us. It was quite amusing to hear a newcomer's reaction to the ridiculousness that is the world of Jack Bauer. A few samples:

"How in the world did he get a cell phone?"
"He's Jack Bauer. He can always find a cell phone. Just like he can hotwire any car."

Regarding Peter MacNicol's new character: "He seems like he's hiding something."
"Yes. In any given season of 24, you can pretty safely assume that there are at least two or three moles."

Regarding President Palmer, following an explanation of the Palmers' roles in prior seasons: "You mean this show has had two black presidents?" (My mom, the TV critic!)

Regarding Chloe: "Does that woman ever smile, or does she just glower all the time?"
"The latter."

No comments:

Post a Comment