Thursday, January 18, 2007

AND IN THIS COUNTRY IT IS NOT ONLY PERMISSIBLE TO QUESTION OUR LEADERS -- IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY: I am writing on behalf of each of the bloggers on this site, standing united as we accept Aaron Sorkin's critique that we are amateurs unfit to discuss his work.

Therefore, and despite the fact that we've been hyping Studio 60 since October 2005, frequently extol Sports Night as brilliant and spent a week offering an affectionate farewell to The West Wing, we have agreed that at least until the end of the February sweeps period, we will refrain from any mention of or reference to Aaron Sorkin and his works in this space. That means no post titles making allusion to Sports Night or The American President, no praise of Studio 60, nor even any references to the fact that we're not talking about him any more.

Our silence may be lifted as soon as Sorkin says something like this:
I was wrong. I was! I was just ... I was wrong. Come on, you know that! Lots of times we don't know what right or wrong is, but lots of times we do, and come on, this is one. I may not have had sinister intent at the outset, but there were plenty of opportunities for me to make it right. No one in [television] takes responsibility for anything anymore. We foster, we obfuscate, we rationalize: 'Everybody does it.' That's what we say. So we come to occupy a moral safe house where everyone's to blame so no one's guilty. [Sigh] I'm to blame. I was wrong.

Alternately, Mr. Sorkin, just be wrong. Just stand there in your wrongness and be wrong. And get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment