Sunday, November 5, 2006

PERHAPS HE SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIS OPINIONS ON THE Q.T.: James Ellroy has written a bunch of well-regarded crime novels. However, judging from this interview in today's Times Magazine, humility is not one of his virtues. In particular, the following exchange is a bit scary:

Do you think of yourself as a novelist or as a crime writer?

I am a master of fiction. I am also the greatest crime writer who ever lived. I am to the crime novel in specific what Tolstoy is to the Russian novel and what Beethoven is to music.

How do you know since you say you don’t read other books?

I just know. There is a line from a wonderful Thomas Lux poem: “You’re alone and you know a few things.” I just know that I am that good.

And that doesn't even discuss his love for imaginary women (seriously).

No comments:

Post a Comment