Friday, September 1, 2006

SWING YOUR RAZOR HIGH, SWEENEY: I'm very late to the party on this one, but those of you in the NYC area who are musical theatre fans owe it to yourselves to see one of the final four performances of John Doyle's revival of Sweeney Todd before it closes on Sunday. A great musical (by all accounts) to begin with, with a daring and successful revival concept attached (not just the "actors are the orchestra" concept, but I believe the larger concept of the show--namely, that it's a hallucination of an inmate in an asylum--is new). How LuPone (who manages to make totiing a tuba around alluring and sexual), Cerveris, and Manoel Felciano didn't win Tonys escapes me (though I haven't seen Jersey Boys or Color Purple yet). I will admit that as someone who'd never seen a full production of Sweeney before, I probably didn't get as much out of it as I could have, but it's still an astounding night at the theatre. See it, and if you miss it, make an effort to see the director's next production--Company using the "actors as musicians" concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment