Tuesday, July 4, 2006

THERE'S A TRICKLE OF SWEAT DRIPPING IN YOUR EAR: I've spent most of today sitting at home wondering whether the Cosmopolitan family would end up with a Yankee Doodle Baby. Unless something dramatic happens in the next three hours, I won't have a chance to add Yankee Doodle Dandy to my Independence Day repertoire, so will have to stick with the tried and true choking up that comes from 1776:

I see fireworks!
I see the pageant and pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans -- all Americans -- free forever more!

I do have to note, though, the unbelievably rich irony of Jason Alexander's just having sung a reworking of "Run Freedom Run" entitled "Come Freedom Come" as the introductory number of A Capitol Fourth. It's a gloriously magnificent song -- the best Urinetown has to offer -- but with just the slightest inkling of context, oh, it's just really really rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment