Monday, July 17, 2006

NOW THAT WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I KNOW WHO I AM. I'M NOT A MISTAKE: Articles over the past 24 hours ask -- is M. Night Shyamalan a master of self-promotion, underappreciated by the critical establishment or both? In terms of profitability, notes Carrie Rickey in the latter piece, there's no question:
His last four films, all made by Disney, have each earned at least a quarter of a billion dollars at theaters worldwide. Collectively, they've taken in more than $1.5 billion. Consider that box office represents on average 16 percent of a film's revenues, and... well, you do the math. It's close to $10 bil.

"Only John Lasseter at Pixar can boast a record like Night's," says [Anne] Thompson [of the Hollywood Reporter]. And Lasseter didn't write and direct all his movies.
Right now, my attitude towards The Lady in the Water is the same that I have towards most summer films -- I'll see it if the reviews are good, but I'm not, like, ooh! new Shyamalan! must go now! anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment