Wednesday, May 10, 2006

FRANCIE DOESN'T LIKE COFFEE ICE CREAM REDUX: Two Aliaii to go, and I have to say that despite the general inadequacy of Peyton as ultimate villain (although I guess I should call her the penultimate villain, because I frankly have no doubt that there's going to be some big reveal in which Peyton's pawnness is illuminated), I kind of like how they're handling this. That is, except for the classic spy tv/movie maneuver in which a normally slick and shrewd operative inexplicably fails to make sure that the intended target is actually dead before walking away. Oh, and the conveniently easily breakable window into the unbreakable bunker. Did I mention that no one bothered to check the phone lines after Sloane went all eeeevil again? And let me not complete this list without mentioning the fact that the mystery chips seem to have nothing to do with Project Christmas, but that's just the Cosmopolitan family's own little obsession.

But there are certainly things to like, and like them I do. Sloane's conversations, although a rather hackneyed technique in the abstract, do solve the customary "what the hell is he thinking and are they ever going to tell us?" Sloane problem that we've suffered through for nearly five seasons. It's also always nice to see a couple of folks from the good old days. (Even though Mr. Cosmo told me the other day that all TV stubble is apparently fake stubble concocted with glue and dyed sawdust, or something like that, which has seriously damaged my affection for certain permashadowed television characters.) And Cartagena is awfully nice this time of year.

I, in my eternal Alias optimism, feel that we're well positioned for a blowout last three hours of one of my all-time favorite shows. I will maintain this view unless and until I'm proven wrong. Let's hope I'm not proven wrong, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment