Saturday, April 1, 2006

MINETA MUST GO, REASON NO. 132: I know some of you may be getting sick of my constant harangues against Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta, but the man's continued incompetence in mishandling this nation's once great and mighty transportation empire just gets my blood aboilin'. The latest bugaboo from Mineta's desk involves the state of Tennessee receiving a $2 million federal transportation grant to resurface State Route 385 from Collierville to Interstate 40 in Shelby and Fayette Counties. Excuse me? As someone who has traveled State Route 385 from Collierville to Interstate 40 in Shelby and Fayette Counties perhaps a dozen times in the last year, I can tell you firsthand that road is more pockmarked than Edward James Olmos. Yet, in his infinite wisdom Mineta has only earmarked $2 million for the job. I've spoken to many of my contacts on the state and county level and they tell me the job will cost no less than $3 million. This is just another case of the Bush administration trying to get by on the cheap, a decision I am sure that will come back to haunt the GOP in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment