Sunday, February 19, 2006

THOUGH THIS BE MAD, YET THERE IS METHOD AIR IN'T: I don't know whose post I'm stealing (or arguing with) here, but for what it's worth I like what Lindsey Jacobellis did in the snowboard cross. The debate in my house -- and it's a heated one -- is about why you go to the Olympics. My view is that with two small bumps to go, Jacobellis had already proven to everybody that on that day, in that race, she unquestionably had bested the competition. She had already won. At that point, she needed to decide: do I just ski safely down and collect the gold medal that commemorates the win that I already own, or do I do what all elite athletes are supposed to do, and continue pushing myself to do something even more special? I don't watch the Olympics to see uncontested victories -- I want to see amazing feats of physical prowess, and I wish (though don't necessarily believe) that I were the kind of person who would do exactly what Jacobellis did. Except I would stick the dismount.

On another Olympic note, I come down squarely on the Shani Davis side of the Hedrick dispute. Let me get this straight: Hedrick is pissed because Davis chose to concentrate on his individual races instead of helping Hedrick chase Heiden's five-gold record? Hedrick just seems delusional to me -- everybody says that even with Davis, the US was a long-shot in the pursuit; plus, Davis was going to ruin the Heiden chase by beating Hedrick in the 1,000 anyway (Hedrick took 6th, so he can't blame that one all on Davis). Why should he sacrifice some of his edge in his best race to help Hedrick's pipe dream? And to top it off, Hedrick looks exactly like Colby Donaldson.

No comments:

Post a Comment