Saturday, February 11, 2006

SEVENTEEN THOUGHTS ABOUT "THE" (PART 6): Here are the last 2 songs on my iTunes list that begin with the word “the.” I'll add a few closing thoughts tomorrow.

16. The Way You Look Tonight by Tony Bennett. So many "love" songs are really about the singer and what is going on with him or her. "I never knew love like this before", "You send ME", etc. I prefer this (rare) version of The Way You Look Tonight by Tony Bennett over the famous version by Frank Sinatra. Sinatra's version is good, don't get me wrong. But the way he sings it, you know and feel a lot more about what's going on with him. The woman is more or less an object. In contrast, Bennett's contemplative approach means that he takes himself out of the song and leaves only the reflected glow of love. Listen, for example, to the way he sings: “And that laugh/ That wrinkles your nose.”

17. The Wind by Circus Maximus. Truly an amazing song. Jazzy, contemplative psychedelic rock. The only song that is anything like it is Traffic’s The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys, although I would say that this song is even better. If you like that song, you’ll love this one. Fans of the work of Nick Drake should also check this out, although, again, I would say that this song blows away anything Drake did. Play it late at night and let the mood overtake you. Buy the CD here.



No comments:

Post a Comment