Friday, February 10, 2006

ICE, SNOW, BROOMS, RIFLES AND SKELETONS: Tonight also is the beginning of the 2006 Winter Olympic games. Later, we can talk about the opening ceremonies, but for now, let's talk overview: what, if anything, are you looking forward to seeing? What events interest you? Or will you pretty much watch the Games whenever there's nothing else good on the tv? And do you care to make any predictions?

For me, it's figure skating first, because I am deeply entertained by the whole athleticism v. artistry debate on display both within each performance and with the sport's judging generally. I am also fascinated by the fact that you can be one of the best twenty skaters in your discipline the world and still have a decent likelihood of screwing up at least one element of your performance. If you want safe bets in the entire Games beyond "Americans will not medal in the Nordic events"), go with any Russian team in pairs, and Evgeni Plushenko ("Hansel. He's so hot right now.") taking the men's gold.

Otherwise, I enjoy all the speedskating events, and would watch ice hockey if I had the time, but I can't get into the skiing because it all just looks the same to me after a while. Biathlon? Great concept, but lousy execution -- it should have more of a paintball/laser tag element to it. And I have no interest whatsoever in any of the X-Games stuff they've shoehorned into the Games, which must mean that I'm getting old. You?

(P.S. to DanP: The Olympic Theme Song does have words. The first line is "This! Is! The o-LYM-pic Theme Song!" and you can freelance from there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment