Friday, January 6, 2006

I HAVE MADE A DECISION, AND IT IS MINE ALONE: There is much to be said about Steven Spielberg's Munich (and much to recommend in it), and I may well have more to say about it tomorrow, after I've slept on it, but two immediate thoughts:
  • I haven't seen a movie with this many endings since Return of the King. Yes, I understand the desire for the final 10 or so minutes set back in Brooklyn, but I think a much more powerful ending could have been had just by ending with the closeup on Avner's daughter's face, and we would have been spared the awkward sex scene intercut with flashback. Spielberg knows how to shoot many, many things (and a sequence in the aftermath of a bomb blast in this ranks among his best work), but this is almost painful.
  • Is it just me, or does Munich share one of its major themes with Serenity? Namely, the following question--"In order for civilization to survive, do we require the existence of people who commit uncivilized/merciless acts?" Interestingly, I think Serenity's decontextualization/recontextualization of that question is, in many ways, more effective than the historical docudrama of Munich.

No comments:

Post a Comment