Thursday, October 6, 2005

THERE MUST BE A FRONT DOOR: I had a couple of questions and non-spoiling thoughts about this week's Lost:

- If Desmond has been trapped down the hatch for three years, only getting out for a few months' worth of Calvin's shifts, how did he seem to know where he was going when he ran away?

- Gosh, they lingered for a while on Alvar Hansa. I wonder if he looks like anybody we've seen in, say, two episodes.

- Can anybody help with the philosophers? I know that Calvin is the determinist, and although I remember that Locke was an empiricist, I also thought (perhaps embarrassingly incorrectly) that he was a free-will guy too. Maybe that's just me trying to impart meaning into the the Calvin-Locke contrast in the hatch. How does Rousseau (Danielle) fit in? Just the "noble savage" thing, or does Rousseau have something to say about Calvin and Locke?

- When are we going to get some real Hurley/Claire/Maggie time?

- I dug the way that the "why is it so hard for you to believe?/why is it so easy for you?" debate was a shout-out to Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan's "miracles" exchange from the Scopes trial.

- Did anybody else freak out at the Jin bit on the next-ons?

Comments are open for more full-on spoilgasms.

No comments:

Post a Comment