Tuesday, April 26, 2005

YOU DID YOUR THING: Tonight's American Idol theme -- "do something recent" -- allowed all the competitors to sing straight from their wheelhouse. Kim will confirm that when I heard the theme today, I predicted that Bo would sing the interminable "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback -- well, I was damn close.

For Carrie, that meant country; for Constantine and Bo, bar-band versions of "modern rock classics". And damned if Simon didn't nail the smartest comment of the year when he noted that once Constantine shed his "rocker" persona for a crooner, he couldn't flip back without blowing his credibility.

Vonzell was solid, but, dammit, and I'm going to hate myself for saying this, I thought that Anthony Federov's take on Celine Dion's "I Surrender" (previously aced by Miss Kelly Clarkson) was actually rather lovely and sweet. My favorite performance of the night.

But Scott, whoa, that version of "Dance With My Father" isn't helping Luther's recovery at all. That was brutal. Go. Home. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment