Sunday, February 13, 2005

MO CUISHLE: Matt already reviewed Million Dollar Baby, and I have very little to add to it here. This is spare, devastating storytelling which everyone ought to see. It embraces formula, but since there's no new stories to tell, it's all in the how, and M$B is utterly compelling.

More than that, I can't really say here. As I've complained before, the anti-spoiler bias is so strong in American film criticism that it's difficult to find space to talk about the movie as a whole -- not just whether you should see it, which is what opening day reviews are for -- but about how it functions as a complete artistic creation, including consideration of the ending. And I respect that enough that I don't want to get into further considerations here, but if people still want to talk about it in the Comments, I am glad to.

Grammys tonight. We'll either be liveblogging, or at the least have a thread open.

No comments:

Post a Comment