Friday, October 15, 2004

"I'M NOT GOING TO BE YOUR MONKEY": If you read no other link from this blog today -- and that'd mean you're not wasting enough time -- but, seriously, Jon Stewart on Crossfire today with Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson? Wow:
STEWART: I would love to see a debate show.

BEGALA: We're 30 minutes in a 24-hour day where we have each side on, as best we can get them, and have them fight it out.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great. But that's like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition.

(LAUGHTER)

CARLSON: Jon, Jon, Jon, I'm sorry. I think you're a good comedian. I think your lectures are boring.

STEWART: Yes.

CARLSON: Let me ask you a question on the news.

STEWART: Now, this is theater. It's obvious. How old are you?

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: Thirty-five.

STEWART: And you wear a bow tie.

. . . .

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion.

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.

Stewart tries to have a serious discussion about the responsibility of news organizations and the difference between true debate and "theater", and Tucker Carlson is utterly, totally flummoxed. It's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment