Tuesday, September 7, 2004

NEXT, JOHN WOO AND MOLLY SHANNON TO TEAM UP ON SITCOM: My TiVo managed to make the suffering that was "SNL: The Best of Cheri Oteri" much briefer. Sure, Oteri had her bright moments (in particular, her Barbara Walters impression), but so much of what she did on the show was the exact same thing--"I'm shrill, I'm angry, and I'm going to shout at you!" or the slight variant "I'm going to yell loudly and behave in a sexually inappropriate manner!" So today's announcement that she'll be teaming up with "Alias," "Felicity," and "Lost" creator J.J. Abrams for a sitcom leaves the mind boggling. That said, Abrams has a remarkable facility with casting choices. After seeing an episode of "The Office," could you picture Ricky Gervais' David Brent as an IRA bomb wizard? I couldn't either, but Abrams made it work. Motormouth director Quentin Tarantino as a jaded secret agent? Abrams made it work. Vivica A. Fox actually, y'know, acting? Abrams made it work. I have my doubts, but we'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment