Tuesday, August 17, 2004

THREE LISTS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE: August is traditionally a slow month listwise, but fear not listophiles, here are three lists to slack your thirst.
1.Congrats are in order for the fine students at SUNY-Albany, who have distinguished themselves this year as the No. 1 party school in this great nation of party schools, beating out such perennial favorites as Florida State, Wisconsin, Texas and Colorado. Incidentally, I think I speak for all my colleagues here at ALOTT5MA, when I echo the AMA's sentiment that the listings "legitimize high-risk drinking and portray alcohol as an essential part of student life." I know that when I went to school back before the rankings began in 1992, there were rumors about some of the kids drinking, but I never saw the stuff. Now the stories I could tell about the ice cream socials back at my alma mater could fill a book.

2. If those lushes from SUNY-Albany ever find themselves with a fine import and no bottle opener, then they'll appreciate this short film produced by a German brewery depicting 32 ways to open a beer. You'd think with this kind of ingenuity the Germans would have beat us to the bomb back in WWII.

3. Mornings at SUNY-Albany, I bet, include a lot of students asking God why they drank so much the night before. Should they or you, be looking for some good, old-fashioned pro-Catholic fare, the folks at The National Catholic Register and Faith and Family magazine have put together a list of the 10 Most Pro Catholic Films. Mel Gibson's Christ biopic tops the list, but should you prefer something a little less gruesome, there's "The Sound of Music" and "It's a Wonderful Life." No list of pro-Catholic films would be complete without a list of anti-Catholic films, and the NCR thankfully complies with 10 movies in need of communion. Topping the anti list is "The Order," which I have to admit at first glance I mistook for "Disorderlies," the 1987 Fat Boys vehicle. (OK, not really, but why pass up a chance Fat Boys reference?) Other anti-Catholic flicks include both the usual suspects--"Last Temptation," "Dogma," "Priest"--and some surprises like "Chocolat" and "Elizabeth." I think the listmakers forgot about Oliver Stone's "JFK," though.

No comments:

Post a Comment