Saturday, August 14, 2004

DEEP AND WEIGHTY QUESTIONS: The first and most obvious question about "Princess Diaries 2," I can answer--namely, why I saw it. I liked the first one, Anne Hathaway is a lovely young lady with a gift for physical comedy, and the Julie Andrews/Hector Elizondo relationship is wonderful. The sequel's not bad, although it's utterly predictable, and there's a wholly unncessary slumber party sequence that should have been cut entirely, especially a painful portion where Garry Marshall apparently thinks that we'd rather hear Disney tween starlet Raven (f/k/a Raven Symone of "The Cosby Show") sing than hear Julie Andrews sing.

There are questions I can't answer, though. Why is Stan Lee (yes, "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" creator Stan Lee) in this movie? Why is he playing "Three Stooges Wedding Guest?" Why is Kelly Clarkson recording a song co-written by Avril Lavigne? These questions and more remain to be answered.

Despite the incongruity of the Stan Lee cameo, nothing beats what happens to me when I saw the first one for surrealism. On my way out of the theatre where I saw "Princess Diaries," I was offered (and accepted) free preview screening passes for "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" the next day. I may be one of the five people in America who actually saw both of those movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment