Tuesday, May 25, 2004

AND IF YOU SHOULD FALL, REMEMBER, YOU ALMOST HAD IT ALL: Yeah, Diana kinda had problems during her last song, in the same way that Roseanne Barr once had problems with the National Anthem. It just wasn't there.

Lookit: I've been a Fantasia fan since early on, and she has impressed me time after time, even with some weird genre selections. I thought she did as best as she could with Tamyra's attempt to out-Diane Warren Diane Warren, and infused every song with her own personality and unique style.

The D.I.A.N.A. bot never did it for me. It always felt too rehearsed, too controlled, and I never felt much personality from her. Great voice, but she belongs on Broadway as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, not as America's Next Pop Superstar. That is what we're voting for, right?

I do want to agree with Ann Althouse on one thing: Fantasia's good, but she's no Frenchie Davis. Or Tamyra Gray. But unlike Ruben Studdard, who's just as talented, she brought it every week to the show, and never coasted on charisma. (That said, maybe the answer is to not have judges at all for the final night, and just trust the people to decide.)

This was not the deepest pool of singers we've ever seen. I miss Scooter Girl, Lisa Leuschner and Bree. I wish there had been a more talented group of men this year, as opposed to the novelty acts they advanced to the round of 12. There weren't a lot of people in this pool who were close to the level of previous winners -- it was just a matter of time before Fantasia and someone made it to the finals.

Compare that to America's Next Next Top Model from this winter, in which any of the final six (Camille, April, Mercedes, Sara, Mercedes and Yoanna) could conceivably have won the whole thing, and each of the competitors had to fight for her slot every single week. By that standard, this season of AI was a disappointment.

Truthfully, I don't think of American Idol as "reality" tv. It's just a talent show, and this season, dawg, it was just a'ight. It did its thing, yo, but didn't blow me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment