Friday, February 6, 2004

NO, DONALD, YOU'RE FIRED: I'm a little disappointed, actually, with the news that Donald Trump will be back this fall to host a second edition of The Apprentice (codename: "Apprentice 2: The Man Behind The Man"?).

It's not that I don't love the show. You know I do. It's that I think that the show's appeal comes from its varied-tasks-in-quest-for-a-job structure (shared with Top Model) and intrateam strategery, and is not dependent on Donald Trump for its success.

Yes, he's a hoot, but the show would've been fine if grumpy Trump consigliere George Ross was the host instead of Trump, and I don't want the show to be wedded long-term to Trump for its survival.

Let me suggest a different path for The Apprentice 2: go Hollywood. Get sixteen people who want to be movie executives. Have them pick talent, edit movies, film short pieces, negotiate with actors, direct extras, throwing opening parties, create buzz at Sundance . . . really, there's a world of possibilities. And let Harvey Weinstein host.

If they steal this idea, remember where you heard it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment