Tuesday, April 15, 2003

"DESTINED TO ENDURE AS WEDDING SONGS OR FLORIST ADS": Is Kelly Clarkson a superstar in the making, or is it already too late? Why was her album's delayed from November to today? And what kind of sound is right for her?

This well-written profile of Clarkson covers all that and more. In this excerpt, Clarkson explains why she recorded an r&b/soul-based album instead of straightforward pop, even though, as judge Simon Cowell has asserted, "that's not her market":
"Normally with new artists, like Pink and Christina, they end up saying, you know, 'My first album wasn't me.' They bring out the second album and say, 'This is me. This is who I am.' But the show made it easier for me to say, 'No, this is what I want to do.' All I heard for the past couple years was, 'Oh, I can't sell you. You have no image.' And that's just so sad. I'm a singer. That's my image."

So while she's quite willing to make a teen-driven musical beach movie to cash in on "American Idol" and prime the pump for her CD, she's conscious of how she's presented. You can lead Kelly Clarkson to water, but you can't make her frolic in a thong. That's what the extras are there for.

No comments:

Post a Comment